Covid Information page
Our Sunday afternoon class is now running we will take beginners who are adults & those 16+
Because the coaching team has shrunk and has less availability we won't be able to reopen our Junior class in the medium term.
Here are the details
Last Updated 9th May 2022
Please recognise that everyone must accept a level of responsibility towards others and themselves.
Aikidoka will have differing risk factors, health and personal circumstances. It is your decision how you participate in any session. We recommend you are fully vacinated
Before coming to a class you should self-assess for symptoms of Coronavirus (COVID-19) this list was expanded in March 2022:
- a high temperature or shivering (chills) – a high temperature means you feel hot to touch on your chest or back (you do not need to measure your temperature)
- a new, continuous cough – this means coughing a lot for more than an hour, or 3 or more coughing episodes in 24 hours
- a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste
- shortness of breath
- feeling tired or exhausted
- an aching body
- a headache
- a sore throat
- a blocked or runny nose
- loss of appetite
- feeling sick or being sick
If you have one or more of these symptoms you should not attend any activity, even if your symptoms are mild. You should follow NHS guidance on "When to self-isolate and what to do"
If you isolate for Covid advice suggests 5 days provided you are better – however there is a 30% risk you are still infectious. Before returning to train please err on the side of caution and stay away from the dojo for at least 7 to 10 days and longer if you feel under the weather.
** If you feel generally unwell please don't come to class **
- We prefer dealing with registration / paperwork for classes by email. See "Starting / Waiting List" to request forms and for details of the next steps to be sent you.
- You should wear a clean clothing such as a Gi or normal casual clothing is fine for beginners but not tight fitting.
- Bring a bag to hold your belongings such as water bottle, Sanitiser, wipes, masks, tissues, towel, keys & phone etc
- Beginners can have three free Taster classes. After that Mat fees and Membership fees are needed to continue to train with us. See Section 5 re Fees further down this page.
- Do not attend a class if you or someone in your household has a new, persistent cough; a high temperature; or loses/has changes to their sense of taste or smell, even if these symptoms are mild. See also the expanded list listed above.
- You must avoid coming to club if you are unwell for any reason.
- Do not attend till your paperwork has been sorted.
- Social distancing of at least 2m should be applied where ever possible.
- Arrive at 16:00 to help sanitise the mat before we start at 16:15. Don't be late.
- Only handle and use your own weapons - sanitising them before and after using wipes is the ideal. (Weapon work) Provided the weapon is cleaned with a stanitised wipe before loaning it out for the class and the recipient cleans it similarly on returning it lending is permitted.
We wish to take all reasonable steps to minimise the risk of infection from the COVID-19 virus, during training sessions, individual members must recognise that an inherent risk remains for the potential to contract or pass on the virus.
We recommend participants are fully vaccinated.
The class may consist of Warm up excerises, movement exercises, partner movment exercises, techniques, weapon work and cool down.
The pace of classes will be measured. We will emphasise quality of the moves.
Mask wearing: advice has become clearer "Face coverings should not be worn when people are exercising (including dancing) or taking part in strenuous activity, unless this is advised by a medical practitioner." This guidance applies when you are being active. So the other side of coin is a mask may still be needed when in close proximity and doing moves slowly. (ie your pulse rate is not raised) However if you are more distanced a mask might not be needed.The BAB Return to the Dojo explains the risk from COVID being air borne or on surfaces:
So do not prolong :-
- any move that brings you within close proximity - especially face to face.
- close body contact
- face-to-mat contact.
f a student is concerned about undertaking a particuler move an alternative activity can be substituted which might include solo excerising and weapon work
British Aikido Board (NGB) guidance can be read on their website "Return to the Dojo", BAB Covid-19 Hub & particularly Supplement 33 or our fuller information page. Supplement 37 was issued for Plan B
- Sanitise your weapons and your hands & wrists.
- Leave the Dojo respecting personal space and safe distancing.
- Wash your Gi regularly.
- Your feet have been in contact with mat - consider washing when you get home
- If you display any symptoms after training – isolate.
We are running a Sunday class 16:00 for 16:15 to 17:45 for adults & 16+. We welcome Beginners to this class.
We are not able to resume our 'under 16 year old' classes in the medium term because the coaching team has shrunk and has less availability.
We offer 3 free Taster Sessions before any fees are due. (Those not new to Aikido are excluded from this offer for insurance reasons).
We need to sort forms and other documents with you in advance and will send you links to these via email and will explain the steps you need to take. Contact us:-
Once the paperwork has been sorted we will send you an invite to join our classes. Do not turn up unexpectedly.
After your trial of 3 free sessions we will ask you to pay Lancashire Aikikai membership, BAB Registration and mat fees, by BACS, if you want to continue training with us :-
i.e. When you practise.
Lancashire Aikikai membership for 2022
Fee reduced based on proportion of year remaining
BAB registration Fee for 12 months
BAB is our national governing body - British Aikido Board
Notes: Concession are people who have fully retired, full time students, and those not in a job. BAB is the British Aikido Board the national governing body. Lancashire Aikikai (LA) is our parent Association.
Lancashire Aikikai membership fee for 2022 and BAB registration are paid together which is £19 (Concession £13)
If you are a past member we need to make sure you have a current BAB Registration (blue slip)
The Club's Covid Officer is Andrew. If you are unsure on any point - ask him.
Recent changes :-
Condensed information on this page. The comprehensive version has been archived
Lending weapons permitted if stanitised - wiped before by the lender and by the borrower before returning.
We have dropped Lateral Flow testing and temperature checking before a class. Those practising should self moniter their own health and stay away from the club if they are unwell or members of thier household are.